Search This Blog

Thursday, February 4, 2010

29 in 29

i fall in to the obese category in weight. and not 'sort of kind of just over the line'. i am smack dab in the middle. i have tried the whole weight loss thing before and failed. i even went so far as to work out at least 1 hour a day 5 days a week for 7 months. i lost 4 lbs. it was extremely deflating. i didn't have more energy. i lost a size but not really anything noticeable. and i was tired all the time. not really the best experience. but i have decided to challenge myself to something i feel i can do. in one week i will be 29. ironically that's about how far into the obese weight column i am. i have decided to challenge myself to lose 29 lbs in 52 weeks (my 29th year of life).
i am trying to realistic about the goal. one year, 29 lbs. i feel this should be completely doable. i have to be more active. i have to take some of the weight off my knees and ankles. i want to feel better about myself. it would be easy to say i am going to lose the 40 lbs that i really want to lose. but that's a huge feat. 29 seems like a number that is big enough to bring a sense of accomplishment, but not so large that if i slip, i cannot get back on the wagon. this is not going to be easy. i am still living with my mom and with 5 people living here and one small fridge, it's hard to keep the foods that i like and know are healthier around. i have tried to cook more for myself lately so i can control what it going into my food. i actually enjoy eating fresh foods that are good for you. but it's hard when i feel like i am constantly on the go. i will have to be more conscious about bringing my own lunch and not going out. i will have to chose better options when i know i will have to eat on the run. i have significantly cut down on the amount of soda i drink to only 2 or 3 times a week. i try to have water or milk with my meals instead of drinks that contain an enormous amount of sugar. i have been purposely been buying nuts to have on hand if i get hungry between meals for a protein boost instead of a carb boost. i drink a lot more water. so knowing the rules isn't hard. following them will be.

exercise is going to be a major change for me. i really don't do it at all. i like to swim but that costs money. i want to join a gym again, but again it costs money. once the weather is better i can at least jump on my bike and ride more often. for now i will have to start out slow. maybe buying a prepaid card for Edinburgh or Dakotah so i can swim a few times a month but not have to pay the outrageous membership fees. i can walk the dog more. i can walk up and down the stairs here at home for a cheap stair master. i just have to remind myself that every little bit counts.

i will try to keep up postings about how it's going. i need to hold myself accountable if this is something i really want to achieve. and just maybe it will get me to post a few more entries a year :-p.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I need to get back on the wagon again too - maybe we could find stuff to work out together.

    ReplyDelete